Insights Day by day Present Affairs + PIB: 30 August 2019
Desk of contents:
GS Paper 2:
- Match India Movement.
- North East Rural Livelihood Undertaking (NERLP).
GS Paper three:
- Nationwide City Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM).
- Marketing campaign Angikaar.
- International Coalition for Catastrophe Resilient Infrastructure.
Information for prelims:
- e-Course on Vulnerability Atlas of India.
- Anandan’s day gecko.
- Missile Ghaznavi.
- GI tag for Dindigul lock and Kandangi saree.
GS Paper 2:
Points referring to improvement and management of Social Sector/Providers referring to Health, Schooling, Human Assets.
Fit India Movement
What to review?
For Prelims: Key options of the motion, About NSD and the awards.
For Mains: Significance and the necessity for maintaining health.
Context: Prime Minister launches nation-wide Fit India Motion on the occasion of National Sports Day.
What’s Fit India Movement?
Envisioned by the Prime Minister, the nation-wide Match India Motion aims to encourage every Indian to include simple, straightforward methods of staying match of their on a regular basis life.
Significance: The initiative is the need of the hour and it will lead the nation in the direction of a healthy future.
Nationwide Sports activities Day:
It’s celebrated on 29 August, on the start anniversary of hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand.
On this Day, President confers the Nationwide Sports activities Awards, National Journey Awards, Arjuna Award, Khel Ratna, Dronacharya Award and Dhyanchand Award to recognise the exceptional achievements of Indian sportspersons.
GS Paper 2:
Improvement processes and the event business the position of NGOs, SHGs, numerous groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and different stakeholders.
North East Rural Livelihood Challenge (NERLP)
What to review?
For Prelims: Key features of NERLP.
For Mains: Want for special attention of NE region, challenges involved and methods to deal with them.
Context: A research finds that North East Rural Livelihood Challenge (NERLP) improves livelihoods of 300,000 households in 11 districts of Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura and Sikkim.
Beneath this undertaking, the Expertise improvement and placement has educated 10462 boys and girls in numerous job expertise and a complete of 5494 of them are employed right now.
It’s a World Bank aided, multi-state livelihood venture beneath the Ministry of Improvement of North Japanese Region (DoNER), launched in 2012.
Carried out in 11 districts of Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura and Sikkim.
Goal: to enhance rural livelihoods particularly that of girls, unemployed youth and probably the most disadvantaged, in 4 North Japanese States.
The challenge has focussed on five improvement methods, specifically, social empowerment, economic empowerment, partnership improvement, venture management and livelihood & worth chain developments.
GS Paper 2:
Points associated to well being and Government insurance policies and interventions for improvement in numerous sectors and points arising out of their design and implementation.
What to review?
For Prelims and Mains: e-cigarettes- considerations, effects on well being, want for regulation, challenges associated and measures needed.
Context: The Prohibition of E-cigarettes Ordinance 2019 is being sent to a Group of Ministers as directed by the Prime Minister’s Office.
- The ordinance makes any violation of its provisions punishable by imprisonment of one to 3 years, and a effective of Rs 1-5 lakh.
- The draft ordinance was necessitated by the fact that an earlier order by the Centre asking the states to crack down towards e-cigarettes could not stand judicial scrutiny.
- Nevertheless, a current order, through which the High Courtroom threw out a petition asking for cover from an ordinance towards e-cigarettes, has emboldened the Well being Ministry.
The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has really helpful ‘complete’ ban on Digital Nicotine Delivery Techniques (ENDS), including e-cigarettes. The advice is predicated on presently out there scientific evidence.
Why ICMR has advisable an entire ban?
Addictive in nature: e-cigarettes and other such units contained not only nicotine answer, that was extremely addictive, but in addition harmful components like flavoring brokers and vaporisers. Availability of flavour variants and engaging designs are including to attract of units, and globally there was an growing development of e-cigarettes consumption among youth and adolescents.
Use of ENDS or e-cigarettes can open a gateway for brand spanking new tobacco habit among the plenty as on the stability, these have a unfavorable influence on public well being.
Prolonged use of ENDS or e-cigarettes has documented hostile impression on people which incorporates DNA injury, respiratory/cardiovascular/ neurological Issues, carcinogenic/mobile/molecular/immunological Toxicity and even have opposed results on fetal improvement and pregnancy.
Analysis has discovered that youths using e-cigarettes (or different such units) are more possible to use regular cigarettes in later period. The exposure to ENDS will increase the probability to experiment with regular products and improve intention to bask in cigarette smoking.
What are e-cigarettes?
An electronic cigarette (or e-cig) is a battery-powered vaporizer that mimics tobacco smoking. It works by heating up a nicotine liquid, referred to as “juice.”
Nicotine juice (or e-juice) is available in numerous flavors and nicotine levels. e-liquid consists of five components: vegetable glycerin (a cloth used in all forms of meals and private care products, like toothpaste) and propylene glycol (a solvent most commonly utilized in fog machines.) propylene glycol is the ingredient that produces thicker clouds of vapor.
Proponents of e-cigs argue that the follow is more healthy than conventional cigarettes as a result of customers are solely inhaling water vapor and nicotine.
Why its arduous to manage them?
As e-cigarettes include nicotine and never tobacco, they don’t fall inside the ambit of the Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products (Prohibition of Commercial and Regulation of Trade and Commerce, Manufacturing, Provide and Distribution) Act, 2003 (COTPA), which mandates stringent health warnings on the packaging and ads of tobacco merchandise.
Want for regulation: The current unregulated sale of e-cigarettes is harmful for a country like India the place the number of smokers is on the decline (WHO International Report, 2015) because it will increase the potential of e-cigarettes turning into a gateway for smoking by inducing nicotine habit and perpetuating smoking by making it extra engaging, thereby encouraging individuals to grow to be customers of tobacco in addition to e-cigarettes.
WHO report on e- cigarettes and effects:
- As per the report, Digital Nicotine Supply Methods (ENDS) (also referred to as e-cigarettes) emits nicotine, the addictive element of tobacco products. In addition to dependence, nicotine can have opposed effects on the development of the foetus during pregnancy and should contribute to cardiovascular disease.
- The WHO report further says that although nicotine itself just isn’t a carcinogen, it might perform as a “tumour promoter” and appears to be concerned within the biology of malignant illness, as well as of neurodegeneration.
- Foetal and adolescent nicotine exposure might have long-term consequences for brain improvement, probably leading to learning and nervousness issues.
- The evidence is adequate to warn youngsters and adolescents, pregnant ladies, and ladies of reproductive age towards ENDS use and nicotine.
Sources: the Hindu.
GS Paper three:
Indian Financial system and issues referring to planning, mobilization of assets, progress, improvement and employment.
National City Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM)
What to review?
For Prelims: Key options of the mission.
For Mains: Significance of the mission and challenges in its implementation.
Context: National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM), Conferred The Prestigious SKOCH Governance Gold Award.
The award has been conferred for its Portal for Reasonably priced Credit and Interest Subvention Access (PAiSA).
What is PaiSA portal?
Launched in November 2018, it is a centralized IT platform which simplifies and streamlines launch of interest subvention underneath the Mission.
It presents end to end on-line answer for processing, cost, monitoring and monitoring of interest subvention claims from banks on a month-to-month foundation.
It’s designed and developed by Allahabad Financial institution (Nodal bank).
About DAY- NULM:
Nationwide Urban Livelihoods Mission (NULM) is renamed as Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana-(DAY-NULM) and in Hindi as – Rashtriya Shahri Aajeevika Mission.
Protection: Underneath the scheme city areas extends the coverage to all of the 4041 statutory cities and cities, there by masking virtually your complete city inhabitants.
- To scale back poverty and vulnerability of the city poor households by enabling them to access gainful self employment and skilled wage employment alternatives, leading to an appreciable enchancment in their livelihoods on a sustainable foundation, via constructing robust grassroots degree.
- To offer the shelter outfitted with important providers to the urban homeless in a phased method.
- To deal with the livelihood concern of the urban road vendors by facilitating with suitable area, institutional credit score, and social security and expertise to the urban road vendor for accessing rising market opportunities.
The scheme has two element one for city India and different for rural India:
- The City element named as Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana shall be carried out by the Ministry of Housing and City Poverty Alleviation.
- The rural element named as Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana shall be carried out by the Ministry of Rural Improvement.
GS Paper three:
Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental influence evaluation.
Marketing campaign Angikaar
What to review?
For Prelims Key options.:
For Mains: Need for and significance of the marketing campaign.
Context: The federal government has launched “angikaar” a campaign for change management.
The campaign will probably be initiated in all goal cities on 2nd October 2019 commemorating 150th Gandhi Jayanti after preparatory part and culminate on the event of Human Rights Day, 10th December, 2019.
What is angikaar?
Angikaar has been launched for social behaviour change, specializing in points resembling water & power conservation, waste administration, health, tree plantation, sanitation and hygiene.
Goal group: It has been launched for beneficiaries of accomplished homes underneath PMAY (U), via group mobilisation and IEC activities.
Implementation: The campaign will converge with schemes and Missions of other Ministries dealing with these subjects. The convergence would especially concentrate on Ujjwala for fuel connection and Ayushman Bharat for medical insurance to the beneficiaries of PMAY (U).
The marketing campaign will embrace door to door activities, ward and metropolis degree occasions.
About PMAY- Urban:
Launched by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation (MoHUPA), in Mission mode envisions provision of Housing for All by 2022, when the Nation completes 75 years of its Independence.
The Mission seeks to deal with the housing requirement of city poor including slum dwellers via following programme verticals:
- Slum rehabilitation of Slum Dwellers with participation of private developers using land as a useful resource.
- Promotion of Reasonably priced Housing for weaker section by means of credit linked subsidy.
- Reasonably priced Housing in Partnership with Public & Personal sectors.
- Subsidy for beneficiary-led individual house development /enhancement.
GS Paper 3:
Conservation, environmental air pollution and degradation, environmental impression evaluation.
What to review?
For Prelims: Features of CAF Act.
For Mains: Significance and the need for afforestation, significance of CAF Act.
Context: Centre releases Rs. 47,436 crores for afforestation to varied states from CAMPA funds.
Supreme Courtroom of India ordered for establishment of Compensatory Afforestation Fund and Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authority (CAMPA) in 2001.
In 2006, adhoc CAMPA was established for the management of Compensatory afforestation fund.
- To compensate the loss of forest space and to take care of the sustainability, the Authorities of India got here up with a well-defined Act, referred to as CAMPA (Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authority).
- The regulation establishes the Nationwide Compensatory Afforestation Fund underneath the Public Account of India, and a State Compensatory Afforestation Fund beneath the Public Account of every state.
- These Funds will receive funds for: (i) compensatory afforestation, (ii) internet current worth of forest (NPV), and (iii) other challenge specific payments.
- The Nationwide Fund will receive 10% of those funds, and the State Funds will obtain the remaining 90%.
- Based on the Act’s provision, an organization diverting forest land should provide various land to take up compensatory afforestation.
- For afforestation, the corporate should pay to plant new timber within the various land offered to the state.
Issues with CAMPA:
- In 2002, the Supreme Courtroom had noticed that collected funds for afforestation have been under-utilised by the states and it ordered for centrally pooling of funds underneath ad hoc Compensatory Afforestation Fund.
- The regulation says that land chosen for afforestation should preferably be contiguous to the forest being diverted so that it’s easier for forest officials to manage it. But when no appropriate non-forest land is discovered, degraded forests may be chosen for afforestation. In a number of states like Chattisgarh, Odisha and Jharkhand where the intensity of mining could be very high, to seek out the non-forest land for afforestation to compensate the loss of forest is an enormous process.
- Utilisation of CAMPA fund: Several state governments will not be utilising it properly. An amount of Rs 86 lakh from CAMPA funds meant for afforestation was reportedly spent on litigation work in Punjab.
- Furthermore, at several locations, the loss of natural species is compensated with plantation of non-native species within the identify of the factitious plantation. It serves as a menace to even the prevailing ecosystem.
- The proposed goal of the Act have to be fulfilled by utilising the CAMPA funds only for the purpose it is meant for. It ought to efficiently be used only for afforestation and wildlife conservation activities.
- A better take a look at the state government actions using CAMPA funding is needed. The central government ought to adopt the concept of consequence budgeting for allocation of funds to the state government through which funding shall be finished on installment foundation by checking the result of previous funds.
- State governments should restore the prevailing forests relatively than creating new ones.
GS Paper three:
Catastrophe and disaster management.
Worldwide Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure
What to review?
For Prelims: composition, aims and significance of CRDI.
For Mains: Catastrophe preparedness and the need for info sharing and collaboration between numerous businesses.
Context: Cupboard approves Establishment of an International Coalition for Catastrophe Resilient Infrastructure. Will probably be officially launched by PM throughout UN Climate Summit in New York on 23rd September 2019.
- It is going to serve as a platform where information is generated and exchanged on totally different features of catastrophe and climate resilience of infrastructure.
- It should create a mechanism to help nations to improve their capacities and practices, with regard to infrastructure improvement in accordance with their danger context and financial wants.
- This initiative will profit all sections of society. Economically weaker sections of society, ladies and youngsters, are probably the most weak to the impacts of disasters and hence, will probably be benefitted from the development of data and follow in creating disaster resilient infrastructure.
- It’s going to also profit all areas with excessive catastrophe danger. In India, the north-eastern and Himalayan regions are vulnerable to earthquakes, coastal areas to cyclones and tsunamis and central peninsular area to droughts.
A worldwide coalition for disaster resilient infrastructure would handle considerations which might be widespread to creating and developed nations, small and enormous economies, nations at early and advanced levels of infrastructure improvement, and nations which have average or excessive catastrophe danger.
Information for Prelims:
e-Course on Vulnerability Atlas of India:
It is provided by the Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs in collaboration with Faculty of Planning & Architecture (SPA), New Delhi and Constructing Supplies & Know-how Promotion Council (BMTPC).
Options: It’s a unique course that gives awareness and understanding about pure hazards, helps determine areas with high vulnerability with respect to varied hazards (earthquakes, cyclones, landslides, floods, and so forth.) and specifies district-wise degree of injury risks to the prevailing housing stock.
Anandan’s day gecko:
Cnemaspis anandani (Anandan’s day gecko) is the newest day gecko discovered within the Nilgiris.
It’s endemic to the Western Ghats.
It is just round 42 mm in measurement.
Ballistic missile Ghaznavi:
It’s Pakistan’s surface-to-surface ballistic missile.
It’s able to delivering a number of kinds of warheads as much as 290 kms.
GI Atal for Dindigul lock and Kandangi saree:
Two products from Tamil Nadu — Dindigul lock and Kandangi Saree — have been given the Geographical Indication (GI) tag by The Geographical Indications Registry in Chennai.
- The Dindigul locks are recognized all through the world for their superior high quality and sturdiness, so much in order that even the town is known as Lock City.
- The Kandangi sarees are manufactured in the whole Karaikudi taluk in Sivaganga district. They are characterised by giant distinction borders and some are recognized to have borders overlaying so far as two-thirds of the saree which is often around 5.10 m-5.60 m in size.
Union HRD Ministry has launched one in every of world’s largest Built-in On-line Junction for – Faculty Schooling ‘Shagun’.
- It’s an over-arching initiative to improve faculty schooling system by making a junction for all online portals and websites relating to varied activities of the Department of Faculty Schooling and Literacy.
- The phrase Shagun is coined from two totally different words- ‘Shala’ which means Faculties and ‘Gunvatta’ which means High quality.