You’re in all probability conversant in the vary of free, web-based instruments provided by Google within its Google Drive service?
These tools embrace Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Types, and Google Slides. They’ve turn into staples in lecture rooms, houses, and businesses around the globe.
For academics and students, Google Slides is likely one of the most enjoyable and versatile instruments on supply.
Perhaps you’ve heard of Google Slides and you’re questioning how you should use it within the classroom?
Or maybe, you’ve dabbled with Google Slides however you’re unsure exactly how it may be used beyond shows?
Or are you a blogger questioning how Google Slides can complement your blog posts?
This publish explains:
- 1 What’s Google Slides?
- 2 How To Begin A Google Slides Presentation
- 3 How To Make A Google Slides Presentation
- 4 New Function: Add Audio To Google Slides
- 5 Utilizing Google Slides In The Classroom: The Fundamentals
- 6 7 Artistic Methods To Use Google Slides In The Classroom
- 6.1 1) Introduce Your Class
- 6.2 2) Make Select Your Own Adventure Stories
- 6.3 three) Attempt Collaborative Storytelling And Analysis
- 6.4 four) Compile Individual Slides Into One: Poetry Instance
- 6.5 5) Share Pictures Of Work That’s Not Digital
- 6.6 6) Flip Your Classroom: Create A Self Guided Lesson
- 6.7 7) Make Photographs
- 6.8 How To Make A Graphic Or Picture Using Google Slides
- 7 How To Embed Google Slides In Your Blog Publish Or Web page
- 8 Video: How To Embed A Google Slides Presentation
- 9 PDF: How To Embed A Google Slides Presentation
- 10 Conclusion
- 11 Further Reading
What’s Google Slides?
You’re in all probability conversant in Microsoft PowerPoint — the software program used to create and present slideshows?
Google Slides is analogous except it’s hosted online and allows for multiple individuals to collaborate on the identical presentation in real time.
More quick information about Google Slides:
- It’s free.
- You can start with a clean doc or use a pre-designed template.
- It’s out there by way of the online, a cellular app (Android, iOS, Home windows, BlackBerry), and as a desktop software on Google’s ChromeOS.
- PowerPoint information could be imported into Google Slides after which edited. Your Google Slides shows might be exported as a PowerPoint file, PDF, JPEG, PNG and extra.
- Pictures and video might be added to shows. As of April 2019, audio may also be added (this function is presently being rolled out — see under for extra particulars).
- There are numerous sharing choices in your Google Slides presentation. It can be personal, you possibly can share it with select individuals, or you’ll be able to share it publicly on the internet. You possibly can choose whether or not individuals can view or edit your presentation.
- In case you’re collaborating with others on a Google Slides presentation, you possibly can chat, depart feedback, and work simultaneously on the identical presentation.
- Your work is routinely saved as you work in your presentation.
- You’ll be able to current your slides inside the platform (View > Present). You possibly can either plug your pc into a display or use Chromecast or AirPlay to point out a stay viewers. You can even current nearly by way of Google Hangouts.
- You’ll be able to add real-time automated captions whenever you current in Google Slides. Discover out more right here.
- There are various add-ons obtainable for Google Slides. These are tools from 3rd celebration developers so as to add extra performance to Google Slides. Most add-ons are free but some have paid premium variations. Study extra about add-ons by studying Eric Curts’ submit: 9 Awesome Add-ons to Supercharge Google Slides.
- Google Slides shows may be embedded in blogs and websites.
Right here’s a graphic abstract of the above. Be happy to share it with colleagues who need to study more about Google Slides.
How To Begin A Google Slides Presentation
You’ll want a Google Account to entry Google Slides. There’s a excessive probability you already have one! This is identical username/password you employ for Gmail and different Google Merchandise. You may also have a faculty Google account.
When you haven’t received a Google account yet, you possibly can enroll here:
Google Drive is the place the place your Google Slides shows are saved. It’s additionally one of many ways you can begin a new Google Slides presentation.
You entry your Google Drive on the internet via this URL:
Click on on New in the prime left-hand corner. Then click on on Google Slides and either Blank Presentation or From a template.
Other Methods To Begin A New Google Slides Presentation
- You possibly can go straight to your Google Slides collection to view previous Slides and create a new one utilizing this URL https://docs.google.com/presentation
- In late 2018, Google introduced some new shortcut URLs to start out new Google Slides. You merely sort these into your browser to start out a brand new Slides presentation. They’re:
- You may as well begin a brand new Slides presentation within the app (Android | iOS)
Utilizing Google Slides Offline
Rolling out from late April 2019, there’s a brand new method to access Google Slides once you’re offline or have poor internet connection.
The first step is to allow offline entry in your Drive settings.
Learn how to enable offline access for Google Slides:
- Go to your Google Drive and click on the gear icon at the prime right nook
- Select Settings > Basic and choose “Sync Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Drawings information to this pc” so you’ll be able to edit offline.
- You’ll be able to then right-click on any file in your Google Drive and choose “Out there offline” from the menu (while related to the web).
- You’ll want the free Chrome Google Docs Offline extension to entry your offline documents.
Take a look at the complete directions to entry Google Slides offline on any gadget right here.
How To Make A Google Slides Presentation
You’ll notice once you begin a new Google Slides presentation, utilizing the methods described above, you might have the choice to build a blank presentation or work from a pre-designed template.
No matter choice you choose, creating your presentation is simple.
Listed here are the basics of making a Google Slides presentation.
- You add textual content by way of text packing containers which you’ll be able to drag round to go well with.
- You then insert other parts by way of “Insert” on the primary toolbar. These parts embrace:
- word art
- Use the + button on the top left so as to add a new slide
- Proper-click in your slide on the left navigation panel to duplicate it (this may be simpler than constructing a slide from scratch). Duplicate can also be found underneath the “Slide” menu.
This diagram exhibits the essential features you will use most with Google Slides. Be happy to share it together with your college students or colleagues.
Click on the image to enlarge it.
Study More About Google Slides
Study extra about getting started with Slides with the G Suite Studying Centre.
“Get started with Slides” is a simple to comply with tutorial that’s appropriate for each academics and college students.
Video Tutorials: Google Slides Overview
This two-minute video tutorial supplies a simple overview of Google Slides basics.
After a more detailed video? Take a look at David Lee’s 12-minute introduction to Google Slides.
New Function: Add Audio To Google Slides
In April 2019, Google began rolling out the power so as to add audio to Google Slides shows. This long-requested perform could possibly be very useful for academics and students.
Audio may be great for reflection, narration, feedback, and all types of artistic tasks.
Need more examples of how audio can enhance Google Slides for academics and students? Kasey Bell has written a blog submit that shares 25 Methods to Use Audio in Google Slides Tasks.
Though the power to add audio is a superb new function, you possibly can’t report audio immediately into your Slides presentation.
As Eric Curts explains,
You see, regardless that we will now add audio to a Google slideshow, there isn’t a simple built-in recording button. As an alternative it’s worthwhile to report the audio individually with another program, then reserve it to Drive, and then add it to a slide.
Fortunately, Eric has put together a useful assortment of four Free and Straightforward Audio Recording Tools for Google Slides.
The instruments Eric recommends to make audio recordings are:
Yow will discover out all about this process and the way precisely you insert audio into Google Slides in Eric’s weblog submit, podcast, or video.
Utilizing Google Slides In The Classroom: The Fundamentals
The only and most blatant means to use Google Slides is to create a slide deck. That is, a set of slides put collectively to type a presentation.
A slide deck is used to help an oral presentation.
There are numerous occasions when academics or students may want a primary slide deck:
- Academics can create a slide deck to help the teachings they’re presenting to students.
- College students can make a Slides presentation to accompany an oral presentation that’s a part of their classwork.
- Students or academics can create slide decks when they need to showcase studying or share faculty packages (e.g. info evening, faculty assembly, parent-teacher night time, and so on.).
- Academics can collaborate on a slide deck for a conference or employees meeting presentation.
Aside from these primary makes use of, there’s so much more you can do with Google Slides.
Let’s have a look…
7 Artistic Methods To Use Google Slides In The Classroom
Kasey Bell isn’t improper when she calls Google Slides the Swiss Army knife of G Suite. Let’s check out some artistic methods you would use Google Slides in the classroom.
1) Introduce Your Class
Alethea Vazquez is a instructor who participated in the Scholar Running a blog Challenge together with her students numerous occasions. Her college students collaborated on an excellent Google Slides presentation to introduce themselves on their class blog.
In this publish, Alethea explains how she carried out this process. It involved giving college students a Slides template that they might edit.
Take a look at the top end result. This is good for an About web page on a category blog.
2) Make Select Your Own Adventure Stories
Keep in mind those Choose Your Own Journey books that have been fashionable in past many years?
Creating an analogous fashion of “interactive fiction” is a artistic approach to use Google Slides. It consists of a specific amount of planning as instructor Kevin Hodgson explains in this submit.
Wolves Interactive Story Map, Kevin Hodgson’s scholar, (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Here’s an example of interactive fiction using Google Slides by Kevin Hodgson. He shared this on his class weblog for instance for college kids.
Tutorials For Select Your Personal Adventure Stories
As Kevin Hodgson says,
Most of my college students really take pleasure in this writing, as it is rather totally different from conventional pieces we do, but a couple of do wrestle with the unconventionality of it. That’s OK, too, for what I am making an attempt to point out them is that writing isn’t one type, however many types and all the time adaptable.
three) Attempt Collaborative Storytelling And Analysis
Two students in Linda Yollis’ third grade class collaborated together on a Google Slides presentation for the Scholar Running a blog Challenge.
They shared their experiences of touring to London with their very own households and included some nice research.
They embedded their presentation on their private blogs — take a look at “Jodie Bloom’s weblog and “Sarah Gold’s” blog. These are pen names.
four) Compile Individual Slides Into One: Poetry Instance
Typically you may want college students to all contribute one slide to a gaggle presentation.
There are two methods to do that:
- You can start a new Slides presentation and share this template with the category. You’d assign a slide number to every scholar. You simply want to ensure students don’t intrude with different students’ slides.
- Or, you possibly can have students create their own new Slides presentation and then share their accomplished slide with you. You possibly can then compile all slides into one group Slides presentation. These instructions from Erintegration clarify how to do this.
Right here’s an instance I made with students the place they wrote their own Haiku poem. The scholars might write a couple of examples in their own Slides presentation and share their favourite one with me for the class compilation.
Google Slides doesn’t have to only be used to share digital work. It can be used to share and present any work college students complete in the classroom.
Right here’s an instance where my students created their own Wacky Wednesday rhyme and illustration after learning the Dr. Seuss e-book.
I took pictures of all the students’ work and put them in a Google Slides presentation.
Readers have been invited to guess the ‘wacky’ things they found in the college students’ footage.
Tip: Make A Photograph Slideshow With PowerPoint
I found the simplest method to do this was so as to add the album of pictures to a PowerPoint presentation. You simply have to go to Insert > Photograph Album > New Photograph Album. PowerPoint can position one image per slide mechanically.
You then save your PowerPoint and import it into Google Slides (these directions present you ways).
6) Flip Your Classroom: Create A Self Guided Lesson
Google Slides is a good way to assist someone work via a lesson, both in a stay classroom setting, or in their very own time.
You’ve in all probability heard of the term “flipped classroom”? That is the place college students can study content material outdoors of the classroom liberating up face-to-face class time for rich discussions, tasks, collaborations and so on.
Academics can put together Google Slides shows that stroll students by means of classes. College students can work by means of these shows at their own tempo and in their own time. An analogous mannequin can be used for workers skilled improvement.
Here is an example from educational know-how coach, Noah King. Noah used a blog submit I wrote about the right way to train students to research online to create a Slides presentation to make use of with fifth graders.
Read more about this Slides presentation here.
7) Make Photographs
Google Slides gives a clean canvas where creations could be download into picture codecs like JPEG and PNG.
For these reasons, it’s a good way for college kids and academics to make pictures that they will print or use digitally.
Examples of photographs you would create in Google Slides:
- Blog headers
- Different blog pictures (e.g. see the instance of the promotional graphic at the beginning of this publish. These are great to share on social media).
- Pictures with captions
- Flowcharts, mindmaps, or different graphic organizers
- How-to tutorials
- Classroom labels
Notice: An alternative choice for making photographs is Google Drawings. In this Venn diagram, Tony Vincent exhibits us how Google Drawings and Google Slides are the identical and totally different.
Make sure you comply with Tony on Twitter or Instagram as he typically shares ideas for utilizing Google Slides and different tech instruments.
Picture by Tony Vincent
How To Make A Graphic Or Picture Using Google Slides
#1 Open Google Slides
You’ll be able to work with a clean presentation or a template.
#2 Change your image measurement (elective)
If you need your picture to be a certain measurement (e.g. the dimensions of your blog header), you possibly can change this in File > Web page Setup > Customized. You possibly can enter the size you’re after in inches, centimeters, points, or pixels.
Tip: For those who’re making a blog header, you’ll discover the required dimensions in Customizer as demonstrated right here.
#three Make your background clear (or another shade)
If you’d like your picture to have a transparent background, click on on File > Change background.
Then select Clear (or one other colour).
If you choose a transparent background, there might be no background if you obtain your picture as PNG or JPEG.
#4 Create your design
Add the text, pictures, and shapes that you simply’d like on your design.
Tip: If you wish to experiment with a design aspect however you’re unsure for those who’ll prefer it, duplicate your slide before making your modifications. Then you’ll be able to choose the one you want greatest.
Proper-click on the slide in the navigation panel and select “Duplicate slide”.
#5 Save your design as a picture
If you’re ready, go to File > Obtain as > JPEG picture or PNG image. Save your image to your system.
You’ll then have a picture file that you could print or use in your digital creations.
Right here is an easy weblog header image I made with Google Slides by modifying a template.
These 7 examples are solely the tip of the iceberg of the way you would use Google Slides in the classroom.
We’d love you to share your personal examples in a remark. Scroll down to seek out the comment box.
How To Embed Google Slides In Your Blog Publish Or Web page
As you’ve seen, Google Slides can be used in so many various ways. You possibly can amplify this studying much more by sharing your work with an genuine viewers on your blog.
Google Slides shows may be simply embedded in weblog posts or pages using HTML code (don’t worry should you’ve never finished this earlier than — it’s straightforward).
Observe: In case you’re utilizing Edublogs, you’ll need Edublogs Pro or CampusPress so as to embed HTML code. This is to stop misuse by spammers.
Let’s check out the right way to embed a Google Slides presentation into a weblog submit or web page. You’ll discover the written directions under and then a video and PDF model.
This can be a two-step process. First, you must get the embed code out of your Slides presentation then add it to your blog.
Step One: Get the embed code in your Slides presentation
1) Open your Slides presentation
You possibly can go to your Drive or on to your Slides collection to seek out your presentation. Double click on on the presentation to open it.
2) Publish to the online
Go to File > Publish to the online
You’ll discover File in the prime left-hand nook of your page.
Click on on Embed. There are a number of choices to regulate the dimensions and velocity of the slides. Changing these choices isn’t important (medium is often an excellent measurement).
Click on Publish.
You’ll receive a warning that you simply’re about to publish to the online. Press OK.
3) Copy the embed code
After you press OK, your HTML embed code will seem in a field. It’s essential copy this code to add to your blog submit or page.
How you can copy:
- Click on on the text to spotlight it if it’s not already highlighted
- Press Management C (Home windows) or Command C (Mac)
- Alternatively, right-click and press Copy
Word: In the event you ever need to unpublish your Slides presentation so it’s not out there on the internet, repeat these steps and click on the small arrow on the bottom of the field that claims Revealed content and settings. Choose Stop publishing.
Step Two: Add the embed code to your weblog submit or page
These directions present tips on how to add your Slides presentation to a blog submit. The identical course of applies to pages.
1) Open your publish
Go to your blog dashboard and open the publish you’re working on. Or, go to Posts > Add New.
2) Add Media
Place your cursor where you need the Slides presentation to seem after which click on the Add Media button.
3) Insert Embed Code
In the Add Media window, click on on the Insert Embed Code tab on the left.
four) Paste Embed Code
Paste the embed code into the Insert Embed code box.
How you can paste:
- Press Management V (Windows) or Command V (Mac)
- Alternatively, right-click and choose Paste
Click on Insert Into Submit.
Once you’ve finished writing your publish, click on Publish.
It is best to now see your embedded Slides presentation if you view the revealed publish. You may as well preview your publish to see what it seems to be like earlier than publishing.
Right here’s an instance of an embedded Google Slides presentation.
Video: How To Embed A Google Slides Presentation
This three minute video takes you through the process described above.
PDF: How To Embed A Google Slides Presentation
You’re welcome to print this 2 page PDF to point out your college students or colleagues methods to embed their Google Slides presentation into a blog submit or web page.
>>Click on here to download a replica of the PDF
Google Slides is a versatile approach for academics and college students to create, collaborate, and current. There’s lots you can do with Google Slides past a normal oral presentation.
Many academics and college students take pleasure in embedding their Google Slides shows into a blog publish or page. Sharing work with an authentic viewers yields many benefits!
How are you using Google Slides?
Do you will have any ideas or examples to share?
Do you have got any questions about Google Slides?
Depart a remark under. We’d love to listen to from you.
You may also be fascinated about studying:
A Beginner’s Guide To Google Pictures
Canva In The Classroom: Getting Began, Example Designs, And Ideas!
Six Tools To Create Interactive Studying Content material On Your Weblog